Wednesday, September 15, 2010

More Stories

There have been many great adventures that I have had and have yet to share with you all yet. Hmmmm... where should I start? How about the moments that have brought great impact? Yes, I believe this is a perfect idea.


How about the the fact that I just got back from walking from Bethlehem to Jerusalem. The walk is about 5 miles. This 5 mile walk was peaceful and beautiful. With the company of good friends and healthy conversations, the 5 miles felt like 10 feet. The night was cool and the cloud coverage from the day had been blown to the west. As the five of us walked, pita in one hand and cokes in our back-packs, we were traveling along the ridge and pathway many men and women walked in history. Nothings better than walking along side history. story of my life lately.. not trying to rub it in, simply trying to express my excitement for living even moment of this Israeli adventure.


The previous day before, Monday, was spent in full rest. My body was so tired that I had fallen asleep at 830pm the night prior and woke up at 830am on Monday morning. Even after a full cup of intense coffee, my body still lacked the ability to carry itself around campus. I literally felt pitiful and as if I ran a full marathon. The only way you will understand my body’s fatigue is if I explain the Sunday and Saturday before. Oh man, what great days...


Working backwards, Sunday was our “Student Activity” day. With our hiking gear on and sack lunches in our bags, we made our way north to the Upper Golan. The drive up was spent sleeping and preparing for the adventure ahead. While on our 3 hour drive, I caught my first glance of the Dead Sea and the Sea of Galilee. Not far from each other, these two bodies of water are completely different. The edges of and cities surrounding the Dead Sea are desolate and minuscule. The coloring a simple, ordinary blue. Continuing on our way to our "student activity", the Sea of Galilee came up on our left. Instead of dead, desolate, and minuscule... the Galilee was lively, abundant, and massive. Her coloring was of emerald blue. I felt guilty whenever I looked away or when my eyes wanted to blink. Pure beauty.


Shortly after, we arrived and began our hiking extravaganza. Only being 9:30am, the day have much to offer. My good friend's Betsy, Amelia, and myself decided to count how many times we would trip. Being competitive, we joked about tripping each other on purpose and throwing rocks and one another, in order to keep our score low and greaten their chances of loosing (good, clean christian encouragement). I think I ended up winning with 4 total trips. Needless to say, the walk was beautiful, the sun's rays were strong and difficult to hide from, but the view was breathtaking...

This is a quick view of the canyons majestic basaltic rock and green oasis.


Cruising down the deep "v" of valley, you run into the first of maybe thee waterfalls... Here, me and betsy striped down to our bathing suits and hiked up to the waterfalls ledge. I didn't want to think twice before I jumping, so I just went for it... question, you know the satisfaction you feel when you take that first bit into a crispy apple? or, the first sip of a chilled Pacifico after a hot summer day? or, the first spoonful of ice cream after dieting for a month? all of these sensations combined cannot compare to the moment my body was submerged into the coolness of the waterfall's loving arms. ahh... it was perfect ("tamam" in Arabic).


From there, we dressed ourselves, and continued on. The day only got better. We cliff jumped off another wate

rfall. This time, the jump was about 40 feet (the previous was about 30ish). We ate our pita bread sandwiches and basked in the coolness of the shade. Before leaving, my friend Josh and I ... well I attempted and he succeeded, climbed the waterfall itself. I made it half way, and then jumped off. Then, we all continued on...


The day took a turn when the group left this site. I had a headache from dehydration, and wanted to just make it to the next waterfall so I could rest. Walking faster than usual, I walked into a situation I didn't see coming.

looking down below me, I see my friend Robyn and my two friends, Josh and Josh, holding her. Robyn had fallen ten feet and landed face first on the rock below her. My heart sank. The lifeguard inside me starting retrieving all of the safety rules from a stored-away file in my brain. I clipped off my backpack, jumped down to her side, and tried my best to comfort her. Placing my hand on her head, Robyn and I began to pray. Calling on God to heal and comfort, to provide safety and security, and to create a sense of peace within Robyn. As we prayed, our entire group joined in prayer down below. All of us, one group of lovers of God, interceded for the God of healing to come. He did so in a way like any other. God had completely protected Robyn the entire time. There happened to be a medic behind us, three US government officials in front of us, and a handful of lifeguards in our group. After about 45 minutes to an hour, 17 attractive israeli rescue men came to assist Robyn up the hillside ("cliff" is a better description of the intensity of the hike up). Robyn walked away with six stitches under her chin, a black eye, a few scratches above her eye and

a massive bruise on her leg. NOTHING BROKEN. God had protected her completely. Praise God.


that was only on Sunday. I haven't even told you about Saturday. I'll wait. Next blog, I'll tell you about Saturday's "Jerusalem Approaches" Field Study.



1 comment:

  1. Excellent Amy! Love how you make the land come alive with history and beauty! Thank you for filling my day with thoughts of God, love your writing, love mom

    ReplyDelete