Saturday, October 16, 2010

Negev Field Study: day 2a

[Abraham's Land]

Waking up to my first night in a hostel was... oddly, great. We had our own bathroom that lead into our room. Which was excellent, considering back at school the bathroom/showers are down 2 flights of stairs. What a great feeling to shower and walk out of the bathroom in a towel and not worried about a modesty policy[never thought I would miss that].


Back on track, the day began with a good old fashion devotional time, a great hostel breakfast, and a quick trip on our “Future Tour Bus” to Tel-Bersheba. From the top of a lookout, you can see the incredible building execution of David as he constructed this community. Bersheba is a site to see for it’s first recorded site to have homes built in a circle, boarding the prevention wall, and encompassing a central meeting place. Not only is her blueprint detailed beyond belief, but her location is one for the books. Looking at the pictures, beyond Bersheba theres... well.. theres... nothing. This is the land of Abraham. Why would he want such a place? Let me tell you. Beresheba is in the center of travel and trade. Ownership over this land gains the owner access into Jordan, over towards the coast, up towards Hebron, which then opens the door to Jerusalem. So, while she is not in the greatest location for agricultural favor, her economic resources are worth the ridiculous lack of water.

[Bersheba Herself]
[Sacrificial Offering]
["Come on into my Governor's Place]

I’ll try my best to describe the beauty of our next stop, but I’m not sure if I can. Unlike anything I have every seen, it still feels like am dream. As we got off the bus and walked towards the path, layers upon layers surrounded me. Beginning at my feet and looking to my left, my eyes followed upward. Up,up, and still up, the height kept stretching farther until my eye caught the sun's glare...

“Ah, blinding. Blink. Blink. Okay, now I can see.” I’m walking in a Wadi. This wadi’s coloring was like a wedding cake’s distinct layers of strawberry and vanilla filling. As the baker cuts away the edges of the fluffy white cake to fit the bridal regulations, so God perfectly constructed the sides of these cliffs [but to his regulations :)]. Looking up, I see the polar opposite coloring in the rocks creme base and the radiant steel blue sky. Depending on my location on the path, I see my reflection in the running river, a stunning cliff that would easily take your life, and/or the perfectly inconsistent rock pathway.

Hiking through and finally reaching the top, I place your hands on my hips and turn back around. Completing the 180, I stand in awe. Looking onto such incredible beauty, all I could do was hold my breath. Thinking, if I breath then it will disappear. Speechless. Breathless. Greatness.



No comments:

Post a Comment